BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, May 31, 2012

B5643

This is the dress that I build about in my last post. I like it but don’t like it. The one that's not completely finished because I can't find my 2 missing boxes of hook and eye closures.

Pattern Description: B5643: Very easy jacket and dress. I made the dress.
Pattern Sizing: 14-20, of course I cut a 20. I also didn’t make a FBA. I have been doing the Knowledge to “ease” and according to that philosophy, there should be enough ease in a very loose fitting garment to accommodate Cocoa and Puff. They fit. But it’s kind of tight around the high bust. Not so tight that it interferes with my breathing or ability to move, but enough that I can feel it. Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? No…. I will explain that in a minute Were the instructions easy to follow? I didn’t follow them because I lost them! So I had to make the dress up based on what the pattern pieces dictated, i.e facings went where facings go, pleats got put in where the pattern indicated, etc. I got confused when it was time to connect the shoulder straps, but I got it together. I mean… they are straps! What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I don’t think it is the dress for my body. In actuality I think this pattern is more of a nightgown than dress! It’s essentially a swing dress. It hits the boobs and it’s out. It makes me look pregnant. A belt didn’t help cinch the waist either. And I tried multiple belts! Fabric Used: Floral cotton from Wal-Mart. It was a really pretty fabric and floral is supposed to be “in” this season and according to the fashion experts, my body is supposed to do small print. Whatever… This fabric really should have been a blouse. I had hoped that because it was such a long dress that the fabric would weigh the dress down… It doesn’t. It’s that light. Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: After I was done, I didn’t like the length. I did a longer version than the short version on the pattern, but a shorter version than the long pattern version. I was afraid that the longer version would be too long on my 5’3” frame. It probably wouldn’t have been, but I don’t think I would have liked how it would have looked straight to the ground. Does that make sense? When I finished the 1st version… the way the pattern dictated… it was too short and the fabric is so light that it floated up easily. I had extra fabric so I started experimenting. I have 2 feet that I don’t use much (I have other feet I don’t even know what they are!); a gathering foot and a rolled hem foot. I cut the remaining fabric into 11.5” strips, joined them, and rolled the hem and then gathered them so that it looks like a ruffle addition at the bottom of the skirt. I am not unhappy with the addition and I don’t think you can tell with a just cursory look at the dress that the bottom.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? No I won’t make this dress for myself again unless I want a nightgown. It is just not my style. But I did put in a lot of effort in making this dress. I will add this to my recreational wardrobe because I really don’t want to take it apart and make something else. I have a 15 hour road trip to NYC for Show and Prove coming up. Since the dress is so light, it should breathe and be very comfortable to wear in the car. Conclusion: Not a TNT, but I’m glad I stepped out of my comfort zone. I’ll take the best part. Peace!

0 comments: